The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch across Prince George's County and much of the state through 9 p.m. Friday.
The alert comes as a line of thunderstorms is forecast to develop across the region over the afternoon and evening hours.
Peak storm activity is expected in the Baltimore-Washington area between 7 p.m. and midnight, according to the NWS.
"[The] thunderstorms will be capable of producing damaging wind gusts, large hail, and tornadoes," the service warns.
Rainfall totals of 1" to 2" are also expected by the time the storms wind down, with locally higher amounts possible.
Due to the stormy weather, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission has announced the cancellation or rescheduling of the following events:
- The Xtreme Teens Beltway BBQ Showdown at Tucker Road Athletic Complex Friday evening is cancelled. As much as possible, teen programming will be incorporated into Saturday's event, which is open to the public.
- This evening's PRIDE Swim Team tryouts and parent orientation at Linson Pool will move to the rain date of Saturday, June 2.
- The 6 p.m. Outdoor All Comer Track Meet at the Prince George's Sports & Learning Complex this evening will be cancelled on site by the rental customer depending on weather.
- Northern Area's teen camping trip to Catoctin will leave Saturday morning, rather than this evening.
- Camping operations at Patuxent River Park will inform all campers of impending weather emergencies, and post notices on site.