LU LU, THE CURIOUS NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND MIX (ID #A372303)
This little charmer thought she was secure with love and a furever home. She soon found out how cruel humans can be when her owner moved away and left her to fend for herself. For 2 weeks a neighbor keep seeing Lu Lu roam the neighborhood. When this good samaratan realized her owner had moved away, she took her in and cared for her but eventually had no choice but to take her to the County facility on June 19. Lu Lu is a wonderful little doggie who has started in the traing program at the County facility and seems to just love the attention and interaction.
NAME: Lu Lu
COUNTY ID#: A372303
AGE: 1 Year 6 months
BREED: Norwegian Elkhound mix
WEIGHT: Approximately 32 lbs
COLOR: Black and tan
HOBBIES: Playing with balls, giving kisses, going for walks with my human companion, curling up with a good bone.
PERSONALITY: Active, friendly and affectionate. Likes to interact with people.
If you or anyone you know is interested in adopting the wonderful pet featured this week, please call the Prince George's Animals Management Facility in Upper Marlboro at 301-780-7200 to check on the availability. You may also visit www.pgamd.petfinder.com or www.petharbor.com to see many more wonderful pets available for adoption.
ASK FOR LU LU - ID#372303
TIP OF THE WEEK
Anyone who owns a dog knows how important it is to have a well mannered pet. Dog obedience does not come overnight however. This article will give you 8 dog training tips to help you get started.
1. The first thing that you want to consider is that you should begin training your dog while it is young. Once the behavior has began, it is almost too late. You and your dog are both going to be miserable if it is not well mannered. Consider enrolling yourself as well as your dog in obedience classes.
2. It is important that you do not reward your dog when they behave badly. The only time that you should pay them any attention is when they are appropriately behaved. This way, they are going to be on their best behavior so that you won’t be happy with them.
3. The next thing that you need to keep in mind is the fact that your animal is going to be full of energy. Be sure to take your dog for a walk or play with them so that they can release the extra energy that they have built up. After they have gotten rid of their extra energy, then you can work on training them.
4. You need to have a regular time every day in order to train your dog. Be certain that it is a time of day that each of you are happy and also after you have been for your walk. This way, your dog will have gotten rid of the energy that will make them hyperactive.
5. Remember that training a puppy takes a lot of time. Be patient with your little puppy and understand that it is not always going to be like this. If you are kind and loving towards your dog, you will both enjoy the training experience.
6. It is important that you never punish your dog or raise your voice towards them. You do not want your dog to have unpleasant feelings towards you. Therefore, if your dog is behaving badly, simply ignore them or take them into a different room of your home where they can be left alone. This is a great way to teach them that is not acceptable behavior. Because of the fact that dogs crave human attention, this will be a wonderful punishment.
7. After you have given your dog instructions and it has chosen to follow them, be certain to reward your dog. This way, they will understand that they are doing the right thing.
8. Be sure to have a command that lets them know when they can get up. For instance, you can use the word “up” to let your dog know that it is okay for them to get up after you have told them to sit. Be certain to use a word that you do not normally use. This way, your dog will not be easily confused.
These are only a few of many dog training tips that have been proven successful. Try these along with many others so that you know what works best for your dog. It is important that you have a good time with your pet while you’re doing this.