What's in Your Bag: June 10
We talk to a farmers market shopper about their favorite vendors and they share recipes.
Harley Cahen, of University Park, and his daughter, Abigail, made the trip out to the Riverdale Park Farmers Market Thursday, even with the hot temperatures.
They are frequent shoppers at the market and often enjoy the fresh vegetables, bread and meats they find at the market.
But, Cahen said their favorite items are the peaches.
"They are my wife's favorite," he said, adding that she just likes to eat them fresh.
But, Thursday, the Cahens bought kohlrabi and said they would try a recipe given to them by Earth Spring Farms — Beet and Kohlrabi Latkes with Horseradish Sour Cream.
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 scallion, chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium-small kohlrabi
- 1 large or 2 small beets
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Peel and coarsely grate kolhrabi, beets and onion. Place them in a strainer and press out liquid.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl and mix them with egg, flour and salt and pepper to taste.The mixture should cling together loosely.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium flame for a few minutes. (Skip heating of skillet if nonstick)
- Cover the bottom of the skillet generously with cooking oil and heat until hot but not smoking.
- For each latke, spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture into the skillet and press out flat.
- Fry latkes until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Serve with sauce.
Makes 2 to 4 servings.