Tonight's UMd. Fireworks: What You Need to Know
Times, traffic tips, amenities, and more.
There's no shortage of fireworks displays across the region tonight—Wednesday, July 4—but the biggest show close by is the University of Maryland and City of College Park's annual Independence Day celebration.
Below we've got a full rundown of the festivities courtesy of the UMd. Newsdesk.
What's on tap
- A fireworks show and free concert featuring The Fabulous Hubcaps, both held at UMd.'s Lot 1 (adjacent to Campus Drive off of Adelphi Road).
Schedule of events
- 5 p.m.: Concessions go on sale
- 7 p.m.: Concert begins
- 9 p.m. (est.): Fireworks blast off, lasting about 30-40 min.
- Hamburgers, hot dogs, funnel cakes, ice cream, snow cones, soda, and bottled water will be available for purchase at concessions. (The Dairy will be closed throughout the day, however.)
- Residents are still advised to bring some food and water to supplement the items on sale.
- Personal coolers are allowed.
- Be sure to bring lawn chairs and blankets, as grass seating is limited.
- Alcohol and personal fireworks are prohibited on campus.
- Use either the Campus Drive entrance from U.S. Route 1 or the Stadium Drive entrance from Route 193. Follow police directions to parking. (For more, see UMd.'s Campus Maps page.)
- Arrive early, as heavy traffic is expected to begin around 7:30 p.m.
- Late cars will be directed to park in outlying lots, which will offer free parking, but shuttle services will not be available.
- Disabled visitors are encouraged to arrive early, as parking for the disabled is limited in Lot AA.
- The best routes to exit campus will be the main Campus Drive gate onto Route 1, or Stadium Drive to Route 193.
- If the weather looks iffy—and there's currently a chance of thunderstorms Wednesday evening—call 301-405-3555 for event status.
- The raindate is Thursday, July 5.