Flu cases are on the rise, according to Flu Trends, a Google-run site that uses search data to estimate the prevalence of the disease around the world in real time.
The latest figures indicate that flu activity in Maryland is in the high to intense range. At this time last year, the incidence of the virus was considered low to moderate in the state.
The story is much the same for the Washington, D.C. area, where flu activity also registers in the high to intense range.
In general, the Southeast is seeing the U.S.'s highest levels of flu activity, while the West is seeing lower infection rates.
The best places to escape the flu, according to the site: South America, South Africa, and Australia.
Or—better yet—consider getting a flu shot. (Find a flu shot location near you with this Flu Vaccine Finder.)
See More on Patch
- County Council Takes on Stop Arm Cams, Gang Activity
- NHS Choir Makes S. Africa Trip Fundraising Goal
- Fundraising An Obstacle for Northwestern Choir Trip
- President Praises Maryland’s Reduced Debt, Pope Retires, Kidney Health: Blog Roundup
- Top Maryland Headlines: New Anne Arundel County Executive, In Search of Mega Millionaire in Howard County, Baltimore County Councilmember Charged