Firefighters Extinguish Trash Can Fire in UMD's Stamp Student Union
University officials and firefighters have now given the all clear for the area.
Firefighters were called to University of Maryland's Stamp Student Union Thursday to extinguish a trash can fire, authorities said.
According to Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady, the small blaze occurred in a ballroom at the facility.
The fire was extinguished shortly before 1 p.m.
"Some smoke removal" was required, Brady said, but no injuries were reported.
In a university-wide alert sent around 12:45 p.m., administrators urged people to avoid the area as firefighters completed their work.